2017 Policy and Engagement
Missouri KidsFirst considers it an honor and privilege to advocate for Missouri children. We are excited to work with and engage a new Governor, Attorney General and many newly elected Representatives and Senators to create policy that protects and prioritizes children.
Our legislative priorities:
• Protect funding for Children’s Division to ensure that the Division has reasonable caseloads and sufficient staff to meet their statutorily required obligations;
• Promote access to evidence-based mental health services for traumatized children and children with problem sexual behaviors; and
• Trigger and mobilize a substantive, state-wide discussion about what it will take for Missouri to create the best child welfare system in the nation.
In addition to our priorities, we will also work to:
• Increase the state’s capacity to prosecute child abuse cases by funding a child abuse resource prosecutor;
• Support the implementation of House Bill 1877 and the forensic medical response to infant/young child abuse;
• Prompt and propel discussion on our state’s home-visiting programs, focusing on their ability to prevent child abuse;
• Promote trauma-informed schools;
• Support efforts to respond to human trafficking;
• Increase penalties for offenders who sexually abuse children;
• Ensure sufficient state revenue by supporting a streamlined sales tax.